Destination Cellars joined forces with one of Australia's most awarded distilleries, Starward on Wednesday evening July 1st. We cracked some great drams from their multi award winning range with Brand Ambassador Lee Potter Cavanagh.
Proudly made in Melbourne, Starward began with a simple idea. Imagine a whisky unshackled from tradition. Focusing on flavour and provenance, borrowing from the past and combining it with the best Australia has to offer. Our climate, our ingredients and our people. This whisky will challenge your perceptions of what whisky can be.
Bruichladdich's Micro Provenance Online Event. Destination Cellars in conjunction with Bruichladdich Australia invite you to 'Coorie Doon' and share a dram with Chloe Wood, the Asia-Pacific Brand Ambassador for Bruichladdich on Thursday evening June 25th.
Chloe will take us through a fabulous online tasting including the newly released Australian Exclusive Bruichladdich Micro-Provenance Single Cask Series 10 Year Old Cask Strength Single Malt and a rare 22 Year Old Laddie bottling.
Here is your Bruichladdich line up for the evening:
1. Bruichladdich The Organic Barley 2010 Unpeated Single Malt Whisky 50%abv Distilled exclusively with organic barley from Mid Coul, near Inverness. The liquid was matured on Islay in American oak casks which previously held bourbon, until it was bottled at 50% ABV. A whisky of elegance, richness and definite Bruichladdich DNA. The depth of flavour comes from the malt and its transformation through the alchemy of distillation. The spirit is pure and fresh, the oak rich and honied, together with time the combination of great oak, superb barley and slow distillation make for an amazing exploration of the fundamentals of making whisky. Organically certified by the Biodynamic Association.
2. Bruichladdich The Laddie 22 Year Old Unpeated Single Malt Whisky 46%abv As a very special treat we are opening this rare and luscious 22 year old whisky. This is a definitive extra aged Laddie with a silky texture and long rewarding finish. Say no more. Sold out globally.
3. Bruichladdich 2009 Micro-Provenance Single Cask Series 10 Year Old Cask Strength unpeated 62.7% Single Malt Whisky - Australian Exclusive. The star of the show, part of the distilleries Micro Provenance Series, released for the "Laddie Crew Australia" matured for 10 years in a Syrah cask. This is a single cask, which is extremely rare, and is the very first bottled for Australia. Only 282 bottles released. Already sold out nationally.
4. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte MRC:01 2010 Heavily Peated 59.2% 7 Year Old Single Malt Whisky With over 200 different cask types maturing in their warehouses, the cask exploration series showcases the influence of wood on their heavily peated spirit. Bottled at 59.2% alcohol and in limited numbers, here is the Port Charlotte MRC:01 2010. Distilled from 100% Scottish barley, from the Invernesshire region, this sweet and fruity spirit has spent time in first fill American whiskey casks and second fill French wine casks. These component parts have been combined and matured for an extra year in the finest French oak from the Bordeaux left bank.
We have worked closely with Archie Rose to select these great drams for you:
1. White Rye 40%abv Distilled from rare malted rye and barley sourced from the finest producers, our White Rye greets you with soft herbs, tropical fruits and inviting floral notes. Twice distilled, it has a lingering finish, laden with sweet spice.
“Rye is a tough grain to use and causes many challenges in production, yet the quality and charisma of the spirit it yields speaks for itself,” says Master Distiller, Dave Withers. “The production process for the White Rye also draws inspiration from whisky production in the early 20th century. Using a brewer’s yeast as well as a distiller’s yeast gives us lower yield, but a more pronounced flavour. Innovation is very important for us and we often take inspiration from traditional techniques such as this but then apply modern techniques and know how to produce something quite special.”
World's Best Unaged Whisky - New York World Wine & Spirits Competition (USA)
World's Best Unaged Whisky - Beverage Tasting Institute (USA)
World's Best Unaged Whisky - SIP Awards (USA)
World's Best Unaged Rye Whisky - American Whiskey Masters (USA)
Australia's Best Rye - International Wine & Spirits Competition (London)
2. Rye Malt Whisky 46%abv World’s Best Rye Whisky - World Whiskies Awards 2020. To create this unique multi award winning whisky, they selectively sourced rare malted rye and the finest malted barley from progressive malt houses, paired them with virgin American oak casks air-dried for 36 months and let it all mature in the maritime air of coastal Sydney.
Malted rye is preferred over the far more commonly used unmalted rye which affords this whisky a point of distinction evident upon the very first sip. This layered, aromatic spirit offers notes of spiced custard, ginger, stone fruit and baked apple pie with a fresh herbal finish that lingers on the palate.
World's Best Rye Whisky - World Whiskies Awards (London)
World's Best Rye Whisky - ADI Craft Spirit Awards (USA)
World's Best Rye Whisky - World Whisky Masters (London)
Australia's Best Rye Whisky - San Francisco World Spirits Competition (USA)
Australia's Best Rye Whisky - International Wine & Spirits Competition (London)
Australia's Best Rye Whisky - Los Angeles International Spirits Competition (USA)
Australia's Best Rye Whisky - SIP Awards (USA)
Australia's Best Rye Whisky - International Review of Spirits (USA)
3. Sandigo Heritage Rye Malt Whisky 53%abv Driven by their thirst for discovery, the new Trials & Exceptions Series uncovers their most exceptional single casks and small batch trials, offering first-hand insights into the raw ingredients, processes and people involved in the production of Archie Rose whisky, gin, vodka, rum and other spirits.
The inaugural release in this series, Sandigo Heritage Rye Malt Whisky highlights that a great whisky starts its life in the field, not the distillery, and showcases their continuing journey with Australian rye, supporting and working with local farmers and maltsters to produce uniquely Australian varieties.
Featuring a malted landrace rye sourced from fourth-generation NSW farmers, this grain has grown continuously near Sandigo NSW for over 60 years, adapting to weather including droughts, floods and storms to evolve into its own distinct strain.
Sandigo Heritage Rye Malt was released with no traditional commercial rye malt in the mash bill so whisky lovers can appreciate the individuality, clarity and strength of this grain, supporting the distilleries view that malt really matters as a key contributor to the final whisky.
4. Ironbark Smoked Rye Malt Whisky 40%abv Ironbark Smoked Rye Malt Whisky was the second limited edition whisky release, drawn from seven casks as the fifth release under the Archie Rose Concepts label, reserved for our rarest and most experimental products. Ironbark Smoked Rye Malt Whisky features smoked water created by melting huge blocks of ice in the wood-fired oven of our neighbouring mates, Three Blue Ducks, using sustainably sourced NSW ironbark.
In creating this whisky Master Distiller, Dave Withers, explored using varying amounts of smoked water at a range of different alcoholic strengths, settling on an atypically low 40% ABV in order to best highlight the water-soluble smoked notes. At this lower ABV the decision was then made to release Ironbark Smoked Rye Malt Whisky flocked, completely unfiltered and including its natural haze and char remnants. The release of this cloudy, and historically considered “faulty” spirit aims to start the conversation about the role, type and extent of filtration in whisky production, and how it can be used to both add to and detract from a finished spirit and drinking experience.
Crowned Global Whisky Distiller of the Year 2015 at the Icons of Whisky Awards, BenRiach is know as the progressive Speyside whisky distillers, they boldly approach the art of distillation and cask maturation, they call it BenRiach Maltology®. BenRiach is famous for it’s incredibly wide range of whiskies including both peated and unpeated malts, and it has propelled the brand into cult status in the last decade.
We have worked closely with our importer to select these drams for you:
10 Year Old 43%abv The flagship expression from the BenRiach distillery that really showcases their beautiful distillate. This 10 year old Speyside single malt is drawn from ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks after at least a decade of slumber, resulting in a malt that shows off the distillery's style wonderfully. One of the most awarded and best value-for-money drams in the market. Awards: World Whisky Awards Gold Medal 2016, Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2017, 2018, 2020. Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2019
12 Year Old Sherry Cask 46%abv This luscious 12 year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky is unconventionally made using three facets of sherry cask maturation: full sherry cask maturation, combined with Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso sherry cask finishing, for unexpected layers of fruit sweetness and toasted oak spice. Each facet of sherry cask maturation is expertly combined by the Master Blender to work in harmony, creating a luscious Single Malt Scotch Whisky with a multi- layered cocktail of fruit notes, further enriching BenRiach’s signature sweet, fruit-laden style. Bottled at 46%, non-chill filtered and of natural colour. Awards Liquid Gold, 95.5 Whisky Bible, IWSC Trophy
Batch 2 Cask Strength unpeated 60.6%abv The second batch of BenRiach Cask Strength, the distillers in Speyside have combined whisky matured in bourbon, Oloroso sherry and virgin oak casks. An immense flavour bomb. Awards Gold Medal Scotch Single Malt - Speyside - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition
Batch 1 Cask Strength Peated 56%abv For this inaugural peated version's idea was hatched years ago, the BenRiach distillery defied convention and started to peat a proportion of its spirit, returning to the original Speyside character and flavour of malts typical of the nineteenth century. Matured in a combination of Oloroso Sherry casks and Bourbon barrels, Peated Cask Strength Batch 1 is non chill filtered, natural colour and bottled at 56%, so it can be experienced as if sampled from the source – straight from the cask. Awards: Gold Liquid Gold Award - 2018 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible, Silver 'Outstanding' IWSC 2016
Destination Cellars in partnership with The Macallan Australia invite you to an evening of great drams and stories from National Brand Ambassador Andy Buntine, as we launch into a vertical tasting of three Macallan Edition releases, all from the comfort of your own home . This online tasting event went live at 7.30pm Wednesday May 27th.
"The 'Editions' are an annual limited edition series that explores our approach to whisky making and exposes the detail of its creation; showcasing the absolute skill of our Whisky Makers." - The Macallan Distillery
This is another Distant Socializing Event, where we will send you out the sample bottles and then send you an invitation to join the Zoom meeting prior to the event going live. To participate all you will need is your computer or phone. Or you can enjoy the samples in the solitude and sanctity of your home at any time. Here's a line up to make you salivate:
1. The Naked Grouse will set your taste buds right. A must in every back bar, this is a superb value-for-money blended whisky. Matured in first fill sherry casks, with malt whisky from Macallan, Highland Park, Glenrothes and Glenturret. Bottled at 40%abv.
2. Edition 3 release in Macallan's annual wood-focused series called on the talents of Master Perfumer, Roja Dove to provide his remarkable sensory knowledge in describing the distinctive aromas peculiar to oak casks. Whisky maker, Bob Dalgarno subsequently used Roja's articulation of aromas to help shape the final character of Edition No.3. In short, the approach they took was the same as creating a great perfume. The final result is a combination of six American and European oak casks (first-fill Hudosa butts, American oak; European and American oak refill butts; first-fill Tevasa butts and puncheons made from European oak; first-fill bourbon hogsheads; first-fill Tevesa hogsheads; and first-fill bourbon barrels.) By all reports, this is another excellent addition that promises lifted floral notes and a deliciously, sweet, fruity flavour profile. Bottled at 48.3% abv
3. Edition 4 was aged in a combination of seven different cask types including European-American Oak 2nd refill butts, European-American Oak 2nd refill hogsheads, European Oak first fill Diego Martin Rosado butts, American Oak first fill Vasyma hogsheads, European Oak first fill Tevasa butts-puncheons, European Oak first fill Jose Y Miguel Martin butts and European Oak first fill Tevasa hogsheads. Bottled at 48.4%abv and released in 2018.
4. Edition 5 focuses on the spectrum of colours the whisky blender has at her disposal. This blend incorporates 1st fill bourbon barrels, Refill hogsheads and butts, 1st fill hogsheads and butts from the famous Tevasa cooperage, 1st fill butts from the Vasyma cooperage and 1st fill hogsheads and butts from Hudosa cooperage. Bottled at 48.5%abv
The Macallan Edition Series was launched several years ago to great acclaim. The Macallan Edition No. 5 is a homage to the diversity and complexity of natural colour, celebrating Macallan’s commitment to natural whisky. It follows Editions No 1 and No 2, focused on cask influence; Edition No 3, which explored the impact of aroma; and Edition No 4, which was focused on structure.
An Online Whisky Event hosted by Fred Siggins, Brand & Operations Manager for Sullivans Cove Distillery & Todd Morrison of Destination Cellars.
Destination Cellars bring you the third installment of our Distant Socialising events for an evening of great whisky and stories with our local superstar friends at Sullivans Cove Distillery, where you can enjoy Fred's guided tasting (including two brand new releases and a pre-release!) from the comfort of your own home . This virtual tasting event went live at 7.30pm Wednesday May 13th.
This event was the first of its kind for Sullivans Cove, not only sending out a pre-release sample, but also allowing you to be part of the first side by side comparative tasting of their first ever American Oak Refill releases from their Cask Variations series. Here's the line up of great Sullivans Cove drams:
1. DOUBLE CASK Single Malt Whisky 45%abv A damn fine dram to get the taste buds going, Double Cask Batch DC105 is a marriage of portions of eight different casks ranging in age from 10 to 14 years. As well as American oak ex-bourbon casks, this batch also contains a high proportion of ex-tawny casks as well as whisky from two French oak casks previously used to mature Australian white wine for a complex, lively and fruit driven character.
2. NEW! AMERICAN OAK REFILL SINGLE CASK (TD0080) 47.1% Single Malt Whisky The newest label from the Sullivans Cove Cask Variations Series, American Oak Refill, was released in March and sold out within a matter of days. TD0080 is the first ever bottling under the Sullivans Cove American Oak Refill label. TD0080 was distilled in February of 2006 and decanted in August of last year for a maturation of thirteen years in a single, 300L American oak cask previously filled with an older batch of Sullivans Cove Single Malt Whisky. This exciting new whisky represents an evolution in the Sullivans Cove style. Unlike our standard American Oak ex-bourbon single cask label, these casks have never held bourbon. Originally commissioned by Sullivans Cove direct from the cooperage in the mid 1990s as virgin casks, they were first filled with an older batch of Sullivans Cove single malt whisky. Once that first batch was decanted and bottled, these casks were refilled with new make spirit. Thirteen years later, that refill spirit has reached its peak and is finally ready for release as Sullivans Cove American Oak Refill Cask.
3. NEW! AMERICAN OAK REFILL SINGLE CASK (TD0082) 47.2% Single Malt Whisky American Oak Refill Single Cask TD0082 was distilled in February of 2006 and decanted in August of last year for a maturation of thirteen years in a single, 300L American oak cask previously filled with an older batch of Sullivans Cove Single Malt Whisky. Bottled at 47.2% ABV, this cask is one two being made available simultaneously as part of the first ever American Oak Refill release under our Cask Variations series.
4. Just off the bottling line! AMERICAN OAK TAWNY CASK 47.5% Single Cask TD0199 Single Malt Whisky Part of our Cask Variations series, American Oak Tawny Single Cask TD0199 was aged for twelve years in an American oak cask previously used to mature Australian tawny, lending this whisky the fresh caramel and vanilla notes associated with American white oak, combined with the rich dried fruit flavours of port-style fortified wine. Aged for 11 years and bottled at 47.5% abv.
Destination Cellars bring you the fourth installment of our Distant Socialising events for an evening of great whisky and stories with our international favourites The Balvenie Distillery, where you can enjoy a guided tasting of The Balvenie Stories Series with Ross (including a thousand dollar bottle!) from the comfort of your own home . This virtual tasting event went live at 7.30pm Wednesday May 20th.
Here is what Ross has to say about The Balvenie Stories series:
At The Balvenie, stories are our lifeblood. It's what everything is built on. The people that make our whisky, whether they have been with us for 6 years or 60, are absolutely full of them! This is a range of whisky that is based around the stories of how the whisky came to be. The 12, Sweet Toast of American oak is the first creation from our apprentice malt master Kelsey McKechnie and the story of her journey to create the flavour she was looking for. The 14, The Week of Peat we have our previous distillery manager Ian Miller who discussed some innovation with David Stewart MBE, Malt Master and using a spare week in the production schedule put together a beautifully sweet and smoky dram. And finally the Day of Dark Barley, 26. From a rainy day in 1991 using very innovative techniques within the barley, an unexpected whisky in more ways than one. This will be the final release of this whisky as only one batch was made back in 1991 so this is not only a very special 26 year old malt but incredibly rare and about to become much more rare.
Here's the line up of great Balvenie drams:
1. DoubleWood 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
A DC favourite dram to get the taste buds going, DoubleWood 12 was launched in 1993, using a process designed by our Malt Master David Stewart in 1982, now commonly known as 'wood finishing'. To make The Balvenie DoubleWood, David Stewart MBE takes whisky that has spent at least 12 years in traditional whisky casks, American Oak ex-bourbon barrels and hogsheads, and moves it to Spanish oak ex-Oloroso sherry casks for an additional nine months. Bottled at 40%abv.
2. The Sweet Toast of American Oak 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
Inspired to produce an even fruitier, sweeter Balvenie, Apprentice Malt Master Kelsey McKechnie had the bright idea to import Virgin Oak barrels from Kentucky. After deep toasting them at The Balvenie Cooperage they were filled with Balvenie aged in ex-bourbon barrels. The result is a delectably complex whisky with notes of candied fruit, coconut and delicate vanilla. Bottled at 43%abv.
3. The Week of Peat 14 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
Eager to experiment with The Balvenie profile using what he had learnt from a recent trip to Islay, distillery manager Ian Millar ordered a batch of Speyside peat for the kiln. For a week a year, The Balvenie distills a batch of peated malt, resulting in a whisky rich in honey, vanilla and citrus notes with an extra layer of delicate smokiness. Bottled at 48.3%abv.
4. A Day of Dark Barley 26 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
The arrival at the distillery of a batch of dark roasted malted barley, more commonly used in the production of stout, marked the beginning of a 26-year long experiment. The result was a pleasing depth – smokiness and oakiness as well as the classic honey, vanilla and citrus flavours. Bottled at 47.8%abv.
Destination Cellars bring you the second installment of our Distant Socialising events for an evening of great drams with our friends at Lark Distillery, where you can enjoy Bill's guided tasting (including two brand new releases) from the comfort of your own home . This is the recording of the online tasting event from Wednesday April 29th.
Destination Cellars bring you the second instalment of our Distant Socialising events for an evening of great drams with our friends at Lark Distillery, where you can enjoy Bill's guided tasting (including two brand new releases) from the comfort of your own home . This virtual tasting event went live at 7pm Wednesday April 29th. Here's the line up of great Lark drams:
1. CLASSIC CASK Single Malt Whisky 43%abv A dram to get the taste buds going. Approachable but complex, our Classic Cask 43% is a whisky made for sharing, celebrating, and enjoying. Handcrafted in the Coal River Valley, it’s a true labour of love from the second it leaves our distillery to the moment the cork is popped and the whisky is enjoyed. Double-distilled in locally crafted copper-pot stills and aged in carefully selected small casks, the Classic Cask features the citrus and butterscotch of the Lark house style with a hint of Tasmanian peat. A great balance of sweet, spicy and savoury elements make this the perfect everyday dram for whisky-lovers on all stages of their whisky drinking journey.
2. NEW! DISTILLER'S SELECTION LD1182 44%abv Single Cask Port Cask In the spirit of exploration, our Distiller’s Selection releases are specially selected by our distillers as whiskies that are intriguing and different, showcasing unique flavours outside of Lark house style. Copper-coloured, rich and intense, LD1182 spent its entire life in a single ex-Seppeltsfield Port Cask. Only 114 bottles produced
3. NEW! LIMITED EDITION SHIRAZ CASK 2020 42%abv The Limited Release Shiraz Cask is the perfect partnership between some of the biggest, most robust red wine casks from South Australia, and rich, oily single malt whisky from our Coal River Valley Distillery in Tasmania. We laid our spirit down in hand-selected Barossa Valley Shiraz Casks and have been watching it slowly mature and develop. The result is a Tasmanian single malt whisky that highlights our famous bold spirit style against the signature red fruit aromas, tannic structure and lingering pepper-leaf finish of Barossa Valley Shiraz from South Australia.
4. Sláinte Whisky Liqueur Sláinte marries our finest single malt whisky with a closely-guarded selection of botanicals to produce a delightfully complex and velvety liqueur. The two are carefully combined to give the right complexity of character, spiciness and sweetness, whilst maintaining the delightful overtones of the whisky. Named for the Gaelic toast to good health.
The Destination Cellars crew invite you to the first 'Distant Socialising' event with Tim Duckett - the man behind the Heartwood and Tasmanian Independent Bottlers (TIB) whisky labels - as he takes us on a guided tasting of a selection of drams from his multi award winning stable of whiskies.
Tim Duckett (Mr H) talks TIB and Heartwood with Todd Morrison of Destination Cellars while guiding us through an online whisky tasting session on Zoom on 22 April 2020.
Heartwood & Tasmanian Independent Bottlers teamed up again with Destination Cellars for an evening of great drams, but this time you can enjoy the drams and erudite banter from Mr H from the comfort of your own home . Our first virtual tasting event went live at 7pm Wednesday April 22nd.
Here's a line up to make you salivate:
1. You will get the first look at the pre-release of the TIB Vatted Malt #3 at 49.6% abv consisting of two ex-Sherry casks from 'a Renowned NSW Distillery', & a splash of peated ex-Sherry cask from local Adams Distillery.
2. TIB RD0027 Sherry Cask 47.9% - Gold Medal at the Wizards of Whisky 2020
3. TIB 'Renowned NSW Distillery' Release 3 matured in two ex-Sherry casks (TIB ??0017 & ??0018) before bottling at 46.1%
4. Heartwood Wizards Sceptre the latest high octane release. This is composed of 100 litres of an old Fino Sherry Lark LD 766 cask, with about 80 litres added from Old Kempton RD 109 Oloroso Sherry cask, and to finish it off, a fair splash of a smoky, peaty bomb from Belgrove PB 121.
TIB is run by local alchemist Tim Duckett (aka Mr H), producer of the famed high-octane Heartwood brand, who has created TIB to offer a more gentle style of whisky with less 'mongrel' than the Heartwood releases. Heartwood has won countless awards on some of the most prestigious whisky stages over the past decade and TIB is now following suit.
He sources spirit from Tasmania, mainland Australia, and New Zealand based on its texture and flavour profile. It is then matched to a specific barrel type. Currently they have selected 15 barrel types for maturation of the spirit including:
Sherry, Port, Bourbon, Muscat, Botrytis, Virgin oak, Re-educated 2nd fill, Rum, Bourbon Rum, Sherry Rum, Tokay, PX, Rye, Whisky beer. Also they will have oats, rye, & apple spirit. Exciting times.
TIB Awards: The Wizards of Whisky World Whisky Awards 2019 Australasian Producer of the Year 2019 Tasmanian Independent Bottlers. 2018 Independent Bottlers Challenge Winner.
- Page 1 of 2