The celebration of Destination Cellars five year anniversary! On Friday 25th of September at 7.30pm we celebrated in style alongside the distillers we collaborated with, in the Collins Room at the RACV Hobart Hotel.
These are the whiskies that were created for this occasion:
- Sullivans Cove Double Cask Single Malt Whisky, 700ml, 47.6% ABV
- Overeem Port Cask Single Malt Whisky, 700ml, 62,2% ABV
- Lark Port / Muscat Cask Single Malt Whisky, 500ml, 48.0% ABV
- Hobart Whisky Ex-Bourbon & Ex-Oloroso Sherry Cask Single Malt Whisky, 500ml, 61.3% ABV
- Tasmanian Independent Bottlers RD0028 Single Malt Whisky
- Old Kempton Sherry Cask, 500ml 62.5%
- Old Kempton Sherry Cask, 500ml 50.0%
A Tasmanian Whisky Event
Heartwood & Tasmanian Independent Bottlers teamed up again with Destination Cellars for an evening of great drams and erudite banter from Mr H in person in the beautiful surrounds of RACV Hobart Hotel on Thursday August 20th.
Here's a line up to make you salivate:
1. You will get the first look at the latest release of the TIB Vatted Malt #4 at 49.9% abv Hot off the bottling line, Mr H has produced this "imminently slurpable" unique blend of three singe malts produced at Australian distilleries. This vatting was constructed from three separate casks that all previously held sherry. Bottled at 49.9%
2. TIB Vatted Malt #3 at 49.6% abv consisting of two ex-Sherry casks from 'a Renowned NSW Distillery', & a splash of peated ex-Sherry cask from local Adams Distillery.
3. TIB Fleurieu Distillery Release 2 FL0011 Sherry Cask Single Malt Whisky 49.2% - a beautiful Sherried whisky - a huge hit when it was released last year, another whisky from the archives!
4. Heartwood ‘Don’t @#$%&* it up, Son’! Cask Strength Vatted Malt Whisky - Junior H's first crack under the Heartwood brand, Louis Duckett (Tim Duckett’s son) & it's a beauty! It consists of the first Tokay cask filled by Lark + some younger sherried whisky and the tiniest bit (‘0.003%) of youthful peated whisky. Bottled at 59.65%abv
5. Heartwood ?? "Special new release" you will get to be the first people to taste a new Heartwood release from Mr H. His generosity knows no bounds.
TIB is run by local alchemist Tim Duckett (aka Mr H), producer of the famed high- octane Heartwood brand, who has created TIB to offer a more gentle style of whisky with less 'mongrel' than the Heartwood releases. Heartwood has won countless awards on some of the most prestigious whisky stages over the past decade and TIB is now following suit.
He sources spirit from Tasmania, mainland Australia, and New Zealand based on its texture and flavour profile. It is then matched to a specific barrel type. Currently they have selected 15 barrel types for maturation of the spirit including:
Sherry, Port, Bourbon, Muscat, Botrytis, Virgin oak, Re-educated 2nd fill, Rum, Bourbon Rum, Sherry Rum, Tokay, PX, Rye, Whisky beer. Also they will have oats, rye, & apple spirit. Exciting times.
TIB Awards: The Wizards of Whisky World Whisky Awards 2019 Australasian Producer of the Year 2019 Tasmanian Independent Bottlers. 2018 Independent Bottlers Challenge Winner.
Destination Cellars joined forces with one of Australia's most awarded distilleries, Starward on Wednesday evening July 1st. We cracked some great drams from their multi award winning range with Brand Ambassador Lee Potter Cavanagh.
Proudly made in Melbourne, Starward began with a simple idea. Imagine a whisky unshackled from tradition. Focusing on flavour and provenance, borrowing from the past and combining it with the best Australia has to offer. Our climate, our ingredients and our people. This whisky will challenge your perceptions of what whisky can be.
Crowned Global Whisky Distiller of the Year 2015 at the Icons of Whisky Awards, BenRiach is know as the progressive Speyside whisky distillers, they boldly approach the art of distillation and cask maturation, they call it BenRiach Maltology®. BenRiach is famous for it’s incredibly wide range of whiskies including both peated and unpeated malts, and it has propelled the brand into cult status in the last decade.
We have worked closely with our importer to select these drams for you:
10 Year Old 43%abv The flagship expression from the BenRiach distillery that really showcases their beautiful distillate. This 10 year old Speyside single malt is drawn from ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks after at least a decade of slumber, resulting in a malt that shows off the distillery's style wonderfully. One of the most awarded and best value-for-money drams in the market. Awards: World Whisky Awards Gold Medal 2016, Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2017, 2018, 2020. Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2019
12 Year Old Sherry Cask 46%abv This luscious 12 year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky is unconventionally made using three facets of sherry cask maturation: full sherry cask maturation, combined with Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso sherry cask finishing, for unexpected layers of fruit sweetness and toasted oak spice. Each facet of sherry cask maturation is expertly combined by the Master Blender to work in harmony, creating a luscious Single Malt Scotch Whisky with a multi- layered cocktail of fruit notes, further enriching BenRiach’s signature sweet, fruit-laden style. Bottled at 46%, non-chill filtered and of natural colour. Awards Liquid Gold, 95.5 Whisky Bible, IWSC Trophy
Batch 2 Cask Strength unpeated 60.6%abv The second batch of BenRiach Cask Strength, the distillers in Speyside have combined whisky matured in bourbon, Oloroso sherry and virgin oak casks. An immense flavour bomb. Awards Gold Medal Scotch Single Malt - Speyside - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition
Batch 1 Cask Strength Peated 56%abv For this inaugural peated version's idea was hatched years ago, the BenRiach distillery defied convention and started to peat a proportion of its spirit, returning to the original Speyside character and flavour of malts typical of the nineteenth century. Matured in a combination of Oloroso Sherry casks and Bourbon barrels, Peated Cask Strength Batch 1 is non chill filtered, natural colour and bottled at 56%, so it can be experienced as if sampled from the source – straight from the cask. Awards: Gold Liquid Gold Award - 2018 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible, Silver 'Outstanding' IWSC 2016
- Australian Whisky
- Beam Suntory
- Destination Cellars
- Destination Cellars Events
- English Whisky
- Hakushu 18
- Indian Whisky
- Irish Whiskey
- Laphroaig 25
- Octomore Eight Series
- Rare Whisky
- Sullivnas Cove
- Tasmanian Gin
- Tasmanian Whisky
- The Macallan
- The Retiring Gin
- Yamazaki 18