Bruichladdich's Octomore 14 Series Whisky Event
Destination Cellars in conjunction with Bruichladdich Australia invite you to "grab your smoking jacket and get your Octomore on!" and share a dram with Max Barrowman, the Australian Brand Ambassador for Bruichladdich on Friday evening March 22nd at 7.30pm in the maritime surrounds of the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania.
Max will take us through a fabulous tasting including the newly released super heavily peated Octomore 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, plus the newly released Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2014, tasted alongside the Port Charlotte 10 Year Old and we will start with the sublime Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2013
"EACH OF THE 14'S HAS ITS OWN DISTINCT CHARACTER WHILE STAYING TRUE TO THE OCTOMORE DNA, AND THIS SERIES SHOWCASES WHAT CAN BE ACHIEVED WHEN WE CONSIDER EVERY ELEMENT WHICH CONTRIBUTES TO THE DEPTH, BALANCE AND COMPLEXITY OF EACH DROP OF WHISKY."
Adam Hannett - Head Distiller
Here is your Bruichladdich line up for the evening:
1. Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2013 Single Malt Whisky 50% abv - Bruichladdich Islay Barley expressions are a direct embodiment of everything an Islay whisky can and should be. The unpeated distillate was produced using barley grown on Islay in 2012 by eight farmers from western and central farms, which was dried, malted and distilled in 2013 and matured in a mix of first-fill American whiskey casks (75%) and French wine casks (25%) for a minimum of eight years.
2. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 Year Old Single Malt Whisky 50% abv - Port Charlotte single malt explores the complexities of natural whisky, through barley provenance, cask influence and the passing of time. It is living proof that Bruichladdich's values are rooted in provenance, authenticity and transparency. The 10 Year Old has been matured in 65% 1st fill American whisky casks, 10% 2nd fill American whisky casks, and 25% 2nd fill French wine casks.
3. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2014 Single Malt Whisky 50% abv -A heavily peated Islay whisky from Bruichladdich distillery, distilled from barley grown at eight local farms on Islay. Distilled in 2014 using the 2013 harvest (100% Islay Concerto and Propino barley) with the barley peated to a phenol level of 40 ppm, then matured in a combination of 1st fill bourbon casks (84%), 2nd fill wine casks and (8%) and second fill virgin oak casks (8%). This 2014 vintage Port Charlotte was bottled at the Bruichladdich distillery at 50% vol.
4. Bruichladdich Octomore 14.1 Single Malt Whisky 59.6% abv - Distilled from 100% Scottish mainland barley and peated to 128.9 PPM, Octomore 14.1 is as youthful and dynamic as its predecessors. All Octomore .1 editions are distilled from 100% Scottish barley. They are primarily aged only in ex-American oak, in varying percentages of either ex-bourbon or ex-Tennessee whiskey casks.
5. Bruichladdich Octomore 14.2 Single Malt Whisky 57.7% abv - Octomore 14.2 uses the same barley varietal and is malted to the same PPM as the 14.1, but the liquids diverge profoundly with the influence of wine and sherry casks on the 14.2 spirit. With over 200 different cask types in the warehouses, Head Distiller, Adam Hannett, has selected casks that have previously held Oloroso and Amarone – with the distinct sweetness and nuttiness of this combination creating an exceptional single malt.
6. Bruichladdich Octomore 14.3 Single Malt Whisky 61.4% abv - Octomore 14.3 demonstrates the extraordinary pursuit of flavour when combining super-heavy peat with the variable local harvests from its island home. The Islay barley used in Octomore 14.3, grown just two miles from the distillery on Octomore farm, delivers a cereal-forward single malt – celebrating the profound impact of the natural, raw ingredient and the renaissance of the farming community who grew it. Head Distiller, Adam Hannett, has expertly coaxed the flavour from the Islay barley in this high-provenance single malt. Matured in a combination of first-fill ex-American whiskey casks and second-fill wine casks, the oak influences but never dominates the grain - capturing the terroir and unique flavour of the Islay barley.
Tickets are $75 per person and must be booked in advance as seats are limited. Your ticket price includes tasting platters, good times and access to special pricing of Bruichladdich products on the night.
*if you are unable to attend but would like to try these whiskies, we can organise a tasting sample pack to be sent to you. Send us your address in the comments section at checkout when you buy a ticket and we will post them out.*
Friday March 22nd, 7.30pm at Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania, Sandy Bay Esplanade
* Your order number will be your booking number. You will not need or be issued a ticket, as we have your booking details. We will touch base with you again a day before the event. Thank you for booking with Destination Cellars.
** Refunds given with 48 hours notice